To me, Photography is a wonderful form of visual storytelling. I'm dedicated to making photographs that that tell the authentic, beautiful stories of people's lives. Especially yours!
My greatest hope is to that you and your loved ones will look back on the photographs we make now and years later, and be reassured that you all were truly seen as an important, lovely, and complex human beings and nothing less. Right now, today and every day.
I would love to share a day with you and capture the moments that shape your life, from the commonplace to the once-in-a-lifetime.
Everyone has a story and yours deserves to be told too, so feel free to contact me so we make something beautiful
Random things about me:
- My name is Melissa.
- Never a bridesmaid, never a bride, pretty much always the photographer. ;)
- I have a niece and two nephews I adore to pieces, even when they make me feel old.
- I grew up in Kansas City, MO but have also lived in Chicago, various cities in Kansas, Hawaii*, and The Caribbean*. (*technically I lived on a cruise ship).
- I really love to travel and have owned a passport for ten years, though it hasn't gotten stamped as often as I would like lately. ;)
- I highly recommend everyone take a long distance train ride at least once in their life if they can.
- Anticipation is my favorite word these days!
- My greatest wish if for everyone I meet to see themselves as beautiful, just as they are, right now, this very moment.
- I love being surrounded by people who are idealistic, dedicated to bettering themselves and the world, and aren't afraid to speak their minds.
- I love to read a lot and am currently in love with audio books. Especially when I get to listen during mundane things like driving and cleaning! (side note: I recently loved the heck out of Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch")
- I easily get emotionally attached to fictional characters in books and on tv. I can't help it!
- Sci-fi & fantasy with a twist of romance and/or comedy make up a majority of my favorite tv shows and movies. Throw in musical elements I'll be there before you can blink.
- Current Fave Shows: The 100, Jane the Virgin, Empire, The Flash, Sense8, and How to Get Away with Murder.
- Older Favorites: Battlestar Galactica (new series), Heroes, LOST, Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty, Fringe, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Leverage
- I occasionally binge watch HGTV and The Food Network when I want to relax.
- I love nearly anything Jane Austen.
- I have recently fallen in love with comic books/graphic novels. (Ms. Marvel with Kamala Khan is so great!)
- Moulin Rouge is pretty much my favorite movie of all time. We won't discuss how many times I saw it in theaters let alone how many times I've watched the DVD at home.
- The movie's tagline: Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love. is such an excellent set of ideals to live by. Most definitely when you expand above and beyond the traditional meanings of the words.
- I watch the film Amelie regularly on New Years Eve if I'm home alone. Or really anytime I need to smile.
- Other Fave Movies: Pacific Rim, Pride & Prejudice, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Legally Blonde, and Jupiter Ascending (don't judge)
- I like to dabble in writing stories when I have a little down time.